Saturday, August 15, 2009

Two More Men Explain the Ayn Randian Philosophy

I wonder how many will see that he is talking about ... Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Income Tax, HEW, HHS, HUD, Dept of Education, etc.

I also wonder how many will make the connection that the archetypal point is that medicine is simply one nose of the camel looking to find the edge of the people's tent.

Now, if I was a politician running for office, then I could not say these things as it would offend the sensibilities of many who are now in on the dole. But, since I am not a politician, but just a thinking citizen , I can say that this is exactly what he is talking about .. and when you come to the end of the matter, say that you must fight, with all your mind and might, and rid yourself of the the pernicious pap that you were taught that "... you are your brothers keeper" ,and rid yourself of all the altruistic implications of that, for it from this well (altruism)that all the mischief springs.

Yes, in a way it can be said that you are your brothers keeper, if by "keeping your brother", you tell him to get a job and give him tough love by schooling him in the truth that his demand does not constitute any valid sanction for you to fulfill it.

Now there are those out there that will say, "Oh you are so callous. What? If a neighbor's barn burns down, you would not help him rebuild?" As for me, I have heard that example many a time and my answer always has been, "What kind of dunce do you take me for? Of course I would hitch up my mules, go over and help. WHY? Because it is in MY best interest to do so. Why is it in MY best interest to do so? Because when MY barn burns down, I think it would be a good thing for ME if I had engendered a feeling that leads my neighbor doing the same for ME, and that if so engendered that he may act on that feeling, however, there is no demand on my part that he help me.

I say that if those of sagacious mind would but contemplate the matter, I do believe that they could see through the pap that is altruism, self-sacrifice, etc., and see that deep down it is ALL about self interest and that a stable and free society can be built and sustained ONLY on such a thing. Indeed, even if they contemplate it a bit and come to an opposite conclusion, then I assert that such a conclusion is itself based on self interest - the self interest in not wanting to see their part of the dole removed.

To prove this about altruism being a papish smoke screen and that the real motive is always self interest, consider the man that gives his money to the poor. Then ask yourself a question. Do you really think that he feels BAD when he gives his money to the poor? No man does that which in sum does not leave him, in his mind at least at the time of doing it, with a net positive result of some sort. The murderer, the thief, the parking ticket offender, the person that gives his money to "the poor', the person that harnesses the power of the government to take from you to give to others, himself included, that he deems "in need" ... ALL are doing their deed because at the moment of doing it, they, in Dr. Phil's words, were getting a net payoff - and it is this net payoff, the payoff to them, that is the motivation.

No comments: