Monday, June 15, 2009

Saying "NO" to Fairness


This about says it all. So, next time you pass by that bum out on the intersection with one of those "Homeless - Need Help" signs, roll down your window and ask him what he is proposing to do for you in exchange for your help.

You know, lazy people think that they have a claim on your money and people "in need" think that their need constitutes a requirement for YOU cure such neediness. (That is why the term "in need" is bandied about nowadays - because it is code for "and somebody else needs to do something about it.) Indeed, they demand payment of their claim on you. My advice - refuse to accept "the claim" and call them out on it.

In this vein, I walked by one of these bums on the street one day and after he accosted me, I continued walking by ignoring him. He started shouting after me "What, you do not have to listen to me" (False Claim #1 - that I am supposed to listen). I turned on my heel and went back to him and said "You are wanting money from me, so what are you going to give me in return? Are you going to shine my shoes or wash my car window??? What???"

He glared at me with a malevolent eye and said "I don't gotta do nothing for you". (False Claim #2)

To which I replied "Nor do I gotta do nothing for YOU". (True Claim)

Always Remember - What's yours is YOURS - not theirs , and the "theys" have absolutely NO claim, moral or otherwise, on your - or your property.

1 comment:

RKL said...

One of the first things a person should learn about life is that it is rarely if ever fair. That is a law of human nature. Once that point is understood, one can then understand that equal outcomes cannot be achieved through the arbitrary concept of fairness. Equal opportunity based upon sound laws is the best that can be hoped for. After that it is up to the individual.

RKL