Friday, April 17, 2009

Republicans Just Don't Get It - Part 1

April 17, 2009
Starbucks - Bulverde Texas


I saw a fellow reading "The 5,000 Year Leap" and since we had just come off the TeaRally, I stuck up a conversation by asking if he liked the book. He said the he did and told me that it was amazing how far off the tracks the country has moved from the ideals that made the country in the first place.

Now, here is where it becomes distressing, for these preliminaries lead to a discussion of Statism and Big Government, and in that vein, I mentioned how the "Big-Government Problem" is not confined to the Democrats, but that the Republicans are helping hand-in-hand to expand the power of the Federal Government over our lives. Essentially, it being that the Democrats come from one direction while the Republicans come from the other - with the pocket book of the citizen in the middle.

To try and drive the point home that "our" party is power hungry just as are the Democrats, I mentioned that the thing that was the straw that broke my back was when our Republican Senators Hutchison & Cornyn, and my District 21 Representative Lamar Smith, ALL voted for the first TARP bailout - over the objections of their constituents.

Now, think of it. I had just told him that the Republicans were ½ the problem. Was there any light that went off in his head? Was there any nod of agreement? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Even though that I was telling him that his Republican Senators and his Republican Congressman sold him out, he was going to avoid that ugly fact and continue to think that it is all Obama and those evil Democrats.

I am so saddened that even the people that go to the tea parties, when led by a celebrity to "boo" the Republicans and the Democrats, do so with gusto; yet in their heart of hearts, when you get them "one-on-one" to look inside, you can see that they feel that it is all the Democrat's fault, and think that if the Republicans can boot them out then things will be all good and fine. They completely ignore that it was BUSH that came to Congress and wanted a $700 billion appropriation in 3 days.

Wake up people. It will not be all good and fine if the Republicans with their current brand of Corporatism and Statism come to power, because a boot is a boot and feels the same on my neck whether it is worn by a Democrat or a Republican.

In sum, I think that it is appropriate to remember - It's Not Left vs Right - It's the STATE vs YOU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m all about third party. I believe most of the Repubs in office are RINOs, and I’m sick of all of it. I’m just conservative, no more being a Republican. Something’s gotta give!

~ from S.P.

Publius said...

I hear you SP.

I think though that instead of 3d party, we should perhaps look real carefully in the Republican primaries and pick candidates there that have OUR views on limiting the power - and try and remove the incumbents that have become infected with Washingtontosis.

If we go 3d party then we will be stuck like we were with Clinton being elected because of Perot splitting the vote --- however, I know some people voted exactly so that they could split the vote so as to try and teach the Republicans a lesson. IMO THAT is the reason that the Republicans lost the election to Clinton.... and the reason they lost it to Obama.

Can't say that party splitting is a bad tactic. Wonder how many times it will have to happen until the RNC gets the message and stops abandoning US (and The US).

Regarding the recent election and McCain's desire to reach across the aisle??? Give me a break. How about getting back to what we are supposed to be? i.e. Limited Federal Government. I do not want any reaching across any aisle. I want an end to intrusion from Washington.

Got a snail darter problem in New Braunfels? I think that we Texans can figure out what we want to do just fine without any help from the Great White Father in Washington and without input from a tree hugger in California.

Likewise, if Californians want to prevent logging of trees in their "neck of the woods" then that is within their sole purview and any whining and complaining from Texans is irrelevant.

Indeed, where in the Constitution does it say that our US Congress is supposed to be talking about snail darters or trees, or "the economy"??? It doesn't.

Got a poverty problem in DC? I think that that the residents of DC should have to figure that one out on their own. Where in the Constitution does it say that the Federal Government is to have authority on poverty? It doesn't.

Amazing how cats learn to hunt for their mice once the farmer stops putting out free cream. Along these lines, we need to stop putting out "free cream" to the politicians. In this case the "free cream" is our vote.