Thursday, January 6, 2011

Staking a Claim on Trailer-Q

“That is the best pulled pork in San Antonio”. So says the man as he drives off with his wife and his dog from the Smoke Shack, a new traveling BBQ house-on-wheels located from 11 to 2 pm in the vacant lot at the southwest corner of the intersection of Nacodoches and Loop 410 .


Chris Conger and sidekick Ben -
Serving up the best BBQ Sliders in San Antonio



For those of you on the lookout for a building with all the hoopla and with those interminable waiters asking if you want to hear the specials - don’t. Look instead for the wood-clad trailer of the sort that might just have pulled off your uncle’s ranch, and look also for some of the best BBQ and pulled pork that I have run across in a long, long time.



I first noticed Chef Chris Conger’s “shack” a couple weeks ago and wondered if it was for real. After seeing that it was there from 11- 2 pm M-F, I just had to stop and see if they had real BBQ - or if it was just some of that junk that passes for BBQ “Up North”.



Seeing that a Slider (small bun sandwich) with chips and a drink was only 4 bucks, I ordered up and was told by Chris that I was going to want another. Now, at the time I did not know that Chris, the guy that was giving me “the sell”, and the guy taking my money, and the guy that was toasting the bun, was the owner of this enterprise, and so I reserved judgement. I also reserved judgment because I am known by my friends as the guy that could eat his way across the United States on nothing but BBQ and consider myself a connoisseur of this style of Southern fine dining. ( BTW, that is how I know that roast beef, stuck in the pit for 20 minutes and covered with ketchup, ain’t BBQ.)



After a couple minutes and some conversation while I took some photos to put in my street scene photographer's gallery, my slider appears thru the window and taking it back to the tailgate of my truck, I bite into it to find that I had just received the most delectable treat this side of heaven. There it was, a chopped brisket sandwich on a gleaming grill-toasted bun, complete with the brown spot and slight amount of sheen that comes when the chef takes the time to toast on BOTH sides, and where doing so makes all the difference. I also noticed that the meat was overflowing so that there would be the proper amount of finger pickings after the main event. I also noted that the 4-bite bun stayed together instead of breaking all apart and that it was suffused with the wonderful bouquet that only happens when it is toasted on a seasoned grill.



Standing there a-scarfing my slider, I was not alone. There were the two old timers sitting on their tailgate, a couple of head-bangers ordering for their truck, and after a couple minutes a couple with their dog in tow.



After finishing, I go over and tell Chris and Ben, the guys at “The Shack”, that they were right about it being the best BBQ around. On talking with them is when I find out that I was talking to “The Man” Chris Conger himself, who tells me that he has always loved BBQ and that his enterprise at the corner is only about 2 months old.



Well. Welcome to town Chris - and get ready for the rush. I know other guys and gals that like BBQ too!



PS - For those of you wondering if this is one of those paid write-ups in exchange for graft and corruption, I tell you that it certainly is not. As an ex-businessman that knows what it is like to take a risk, and as someone that has always enjoyed running across people and businesses that “get it”, I just felt I had to do a write up on "The Smoke Shack”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had anything that tasted so good! Just please sell all the sauces that go along with the bar-b-que and the pulled pork. Unbelievable!!!!

Chicago PD said...

This guy knows what he is doing. If you have not tried this BBQ yet you are missing out. Finger licking good.

Unknown said...

The Smoke Shack is finger lickin' good! I highly suggest stopping by if you are within a 100 mile radius of the shack.

Claudius Valarium said...

OK, my mouf is waterin'. Sounds like I gotta try those "finger pickings".