Thursday, September 24, 2009

Service to Whom? - The Insidious Nature of the Government School


I ran across this as I was looking on my school district's website in search of a someone to contact about whether or not the propaganda film "All About Stuff" was being used to indoctrinate the children into the evils of the United States and to make them better servants of the State.

I hear on one of the talk shows this morning that the state of Maryland has a requirement that you have to do community service in order to graduate from high school.

I see a judge has ordered community service as part of the "punishment".

I see a bill passed by the House and the Senate and signed into law, said bill having the name the GIVE Act.

Everywhere I turn what do it see??? Service to others (a.k.a. the camel's nose for Service to the State)

Tell the truth, I am sick of it. I guess that any reader of the About Me section to the right of this blog, will not be surprised, and that he will not be further surprised as he reads most any of the posts here.

I have a question - If everybody is doing service to others, then what about his responsibility to himself? Do you really think that a society can be built on service to others, instead of service to ones self? If so then, let me know so I can give you an address to send your money to, because I need your money more than you do.

So sad it is for me to come to the understanding that the very things that made this country great - self interest, self reliance, making people bear the consequences of their folly instead of bailing them out, etc - are the very values that have created so much wealth that people now are able to (but not for long) ignore what it was that got us here in the first place.

Thus it is that we have all these touchy-feely, do-gooder agencies, and thus it is that if you kid does not stand up and proclaim in a loud voice to his classmates that he does not matter, then he will be ostracized and his future dimmed because he did not spout the politically correct line of "Service to the State". And yes, this includes "Habitat for Humanity". If you want to go build a house for somebody, using YOUR money, and YOUR time, the bully for you. But why do you go around telling everybody about how "caring" you are?

Are you doing all the "helping" because you really want to "help", or are you doing it because by so doing, you make yourself feel good, or because you either want something to put on your resume or college transcript, or because you want to have something to "crow" about. The fact of the matter my dear reader is that help is a private affair and this currently in vogue idea of "service" it the nose of collectivist camel trying to take over the tent.

I, for one, am sick of it. How about you? Are you sick of it too? Will you stand up, and stand against, such thinking - thinking that will lay this country bleeding in the ditch as sure as would any IED. Have you yet freed your mind from toxic idea that you are supposed to live for others, .. of your requirement to sacrifice ... of the idea that another mans "need" lays a moral claim on you to fulfill that "need"?

No comments: